Temporary Resident Permit

Temporary Resident Permits (TRPs) are among the most discretionary decisions that a visa officer is entitled to make. They are highly sensitive and often, very politicized. TRPs replaced what used to be called a Minister's Permit. They are issued to overcome all kinds of situations that would otherwise make someone inadmissible to enter or remain in Canada.

The typical example of when a person would submit a request for a TRP is when she is applying for a work permit but has a conviction for Driving Under the Influence that is only 3 years old. Since you cannot apply for rehabilitation until five years have expired from the completion of your sentence (including probation), a TRP is the only way to overcome the inadmissibility.

Unless you are quite knowledgeable about immigration procedures in general, you would want hire a lawyer to assist you with these applications. TRPs, when well drafted, can work magic. They can make the difference between being able to come to Canada with your family to start a new life, and having to wait five years in your home country before you can even apply. Most visa offices have specific instructions about overcoming inadmissibility on their Web sites.